They say everything is fair in war and some of the acts performed by countries who invade others may not fall within the true spirit but still carried out. This article looks at the difference between colonialism and imperialism and relates them in a proper way. They have vast differences between them, and therefore the main difference is easy to explain. Colonialism gets defined as the political control of one country by another country whereas Imperialism gets defined as the use of power and political influence to rule on one country even far away from the attacker.
|Basis of Distinction||Colonialism||Imperialism|
|Definition||The act where one country takes control of the other country through power and war.||The act where one country assumes the political and economic control of other nations either publicly or through policies.|
|Occurrence||Whenever bigger powers attack countries that are smaller in size or going through a consistent period of turbulence.||Whenever bigger powers use their influence to make deals and change the policies of other countries.|
|Nature||The political control of one country by another country.||Use of power and political influence to rule on one country even far away from the attacker.|
|Tools||May use power and other illegal resources.||May use military but mostly uses the political influence.|
|Example||United Kingdom rule over the Indian subcontinent.||United States influence on countries such as Taiwan and Afghanistan.|
Colonialism has various definitions, and the one used here goes as the policy or practice of acquiring full or secondary political control over another country, occupying it with settlers, and exploiting it economically. Whenever bigger powers attack countries that are smaller in size or going through a consistent period of turbulence, there is a need to maintain stability in the region. This action stems due to several reasons, such as trade between two nations suffers the neighboring areas become war prone. Therefore, superpowers such as the United Kingdom, France, Portugal, in the past attacked several countries and then developed a permanent residence in those areas. The powers who attack, then take the responsibility of all the trade that happens, the well-being of people, the exploration and businesses that continue at the land. Between the 16th and 20th centuries, the most exploitation took place when European powers captured countries in Africa, Asia, and Americas. The Indian subcontinent was one region ruled by the British for over a century, with the aim of making their economy stable and using the labor and the good produced in the captured areas for the benefit of the people in their land. Four important types of colonialism exist and get defined as follows. Settler colonialism that occurs due to large-scale immigration, and often has various aims that include religious, political, or economic reasons. Exploitation colonialism becomes familiar for the exploitation of resources. Surrogate colonialism involves a settlement project supported by a colonial power, and the last one is internal colonialism.
Imperialism has definitions that belong to various classes and the one getting discussed in this article goes as, a policy of extending a country’s power and influence through colonization, use of military force, or other means. The best example of this case is the current superpower of United States that extends its influence in the countries that become dependent on it for trade and education. Nations like Taiwan, who are located near their fierce rivals such as China, have to take funds, support and fulfill the demands of super power if they want to survive. The word imperialism originated from the Latin word imperium that means supreme power. A country who has power seeks to make the most of it and therefore ensure that all the resources that they spend towards helping others, give them something in return, this mostly means the support and policies made for the benefit of the people of their country and the power that helps. The primary focus of most countries is to increase their trade and find a market where the potential of investing and expanding businesses exist. Therefore, they not only help such countries to become stable but also encourage their own people to invest in the opportunities that arise. This concept is controversial as the power remains with one entity and does not benefit everyone but is the one currently existing. Most countries abandoned the practice, but it exists in one way or the other.
- The act where one country takes control of the other country through power and war becomes known as Colonialism. On the other hand, the act where one country assumes the political and economic control of other nations either publicly or through policies.
- Whenever bigger powers attack countries that are smaller in size or going through a consistent period of turbulence and takes them over, it becomes colonialism. On the other hand, whenever bigger powers use their influence to make deals and change the policies of other countries that becomes imperialism.
- Colonialism gets defined as the political control of one country by another country whereas Imperialism gets defined as the use of power and political influence to rule on one country even far away from the attacker.
- The best example of a colonialism state relation is the United Kingdom rule over the Indian subcontinent and other parts whereas the best example of imperialism is the United States influence on countries such as Taiwan and Afghanistan.
- A state may use power and other illegal resources to make their mark on countries during a colonialism regime whereas the imperialism does not use any torture of power but just the political influence to get the work done.