eCommerce and mCommerce are two types of electronic commerce to conduct commercial transactions online. The end result of both services is although same but the way of doing is entirely different from each other. The main difference between eCommerce and mCommerce is that in eCommerce any trading or transaction is performed via computer networks like internet. In mCommerce, any trading or transaction is held via wireless devices such as cellular phones.
eCommerce or electronic commerce is a type of commerce in which trading of product or transaction took place via using a computer network like internet. It is based on the other electronic commerce technologies such as mobile commerce, electronic fund transfer, supply chain management, internet marketing, online transaction processing, electronic data interchange (EDI), and automated data collection systems. Modern day eCommerce typically uses WWW for at least one part of the transaction’s life cycle. These eCommerce sites are used for online shopping, provides an online marketplaces, business-to-business (B2B) buying and selling platform, B2B EDI, engaging in pretail for launching new products and services.
mCommerce or mobile commerce means ‘the delivery of electronic commerce capabilities directly into the consumer’s hand, anywhere, through wireless technology.” It is regarded as ‘a retail outlet in your customer’s pocket’. Currently Asia is leading in the mCommerce that is half of the total mCommerce market that is of over $230 billion. In mCommerce, shopping or purchasing is done via mobile devices. Today eBooks, software, banking, pharmacy, traveling, food and beverages, decorative, advertising, trading communities, etc. are using this platform for economic transactions. It was first launched by Kevin Duffey in 1997 at the launch of the Global Mobile Commerce Forum. First payment in mCommerce was accepted via SMS text messages.
- eCommerce stands for electronic commerce while mCommerce stands for mobile commerce.
- In eCommerce, transaction or trading is done via computer networks such as internet. In mCommerce, trading is done via mobile devices or cellular phones.
- mCommerce is available everywhere in the world as it doesn’t use internet. For eCommerce, internet availability is mandatory.
- mCommerce is very easy-to-use as it is user friendly and doesn’t require computer or laptop while in eCommerce, computer is required.
- In mCommerce, caller’s rate, mobile banking or user’s credit card is used for payment. In eCommerce, credit cards are used for payment.
- mCommerce services are simpler than eCommerce and it is more useful as compare to eCommerce as well.