Football in America is different from the one being played around the world, yet it is the most famous one that has the most money and fame with it. The main difference between the two terms American Football Conference and National Football Conference is that they were both different entities in the 1970’s but merged together to form one league which was known as National Football League. Both of them have 16 teams each which play each other on a yearly basis.
|Basis of Distinction||American Football Conference||National Football Conference|
|Origin||American Football League||National Football League|
|Format||16 teams play each other twice and play 10 teams from another conference once.||16 teams play each other twice and play 10 teams from another conference once.|
|Super Bowl||Total wins 20||Total wins 24|
|Valuable Team||New England Patriots, which have the total value of $1.8 billion.||Dallas Cowboys, which have a total value of $2.3 billion.|
Pittsburgh Steelers (8 titles)
Denver Broncos (8 titles)
|Dallas Cowboys (8 titles)|
|Current Champions||Denver Broncos||Carolina Panthers|
American Football Conference
The American Football Conference, which is known as AFC, is one of the two conferences of the National Football League in the United States. It currently has 16 teams and is part of the 32 team competition which takes place in the country and is one of the most famous ones in the world. The main reason there is a split is for the fact that American Football Conference was actually part of the American Football League which stood as the main rival of the National Football League, both of them decided to merge together to form one league and therefore the teams from both the leagues came together to create one. At that time, in the 1970’s there were 10 teams in each, the number has increased over the years and now has 16 teams in each conference. The structure of the conference is just like any other in the world. In this, all the sixteen team play each other twice, at home and away turfs. There are additional ten games which are played by the teams from the other league, and this selection is based on the standing of the previous year and the current league position. Each year the teams get to play different teams from the other league since they are shifted from one to the other based on the place where they finish at the end of the season. The AFL started in 1960 when it had 8 teams and added two more teams by 1968. At the end of the season, few teams qualify for the final knockout tournament and play in the super bowl which is the most celebrated event in the United States. Currently, AFC has won 20 super bowls.
National Football Conference
The National Football Conference which is also known as NFC is one of the two conferences of the National Football League in the United States. This is the highest level of American Football and is played on a yearly basis. The National Football Conference holds the record of winning most Super Bowls in the country which is 24, although they were not able to win it this year and lost the final. Dallas Cowboys hold the record for most wins in the conference which is 8 titles. It was founded in the 1970’s when both of them decided to merge together to form one league, and therefore the teams from both the leagues came together to create one. It also has the same 16 teams within it and all of them get to play each other twice and have to play 10 teams from the other conference based on the standings and previous performance. The Dallas Cowboys are the costliest team not only in the conference but also in the league with a value of $2.5 billion. It has a salary cap of $133 million where each team gets to select a specific number of players but should not get over the limit of the money allotted to them regarding wages. The conference is further split into divisions of 4 where each has four teams playing against each other and complete the total sixteen. They do not represent a particular area in the country but are based on the names from the former independent leagues and therefore have fan bases all over the country.
- The American Football Conference was part of American Football League while the National Football Conference was part of the National Football League.
- American Football Conference and the National Football Conference were merged together in 1970 to form one National Football League.
- Total Super Bowl wins for the National Football Conference are 24 while the total Super Bowl wins for American Football Conference are 20.
- The most valuable team for American Football Conference is the New England Patriots who have the total value of $1.8 billion while the most valuable team for National Football Conference is the Dallas Cowboys who have a total value of $2.3 billion.
- Most tiles for the American Football Conference have been won by Pittsburgh Steelers (8 titles) while the most titles for the National Football Conference have been won by Dallas Cowboys (8 titles).
- The most recent champion of American Football Conference is Denver Broncos who have won their 8th title while the most recent champion for National Football Conference is the Carolina Panthers who have won their 2nd title.