Marriage gets known as a sacred act not just within religions but also societies, but some cases in which a person does not get married or engage in sexual activities also exist that make for an interesting read. The two terms getting discussed in this space are the celibacy, and the abstinence and both have different meanings. The word celibacy gets defined as the state in which a person does not get married or engage with others on a sexual level. On the other hand, the word abstinence becomes known as the state where a person stays away or entirely avoids from indulging in thing related to sex and drugs.
The term celibacy gets defined as the state in which a person does not get married or engage with others on a sexual level. The term came into origination from the Latin caelibatus, “state of being unmarried,” from Latin caelebs, meaning “unmarried.” Most of the times it comes down to personal preference for someone who wants to follow the path. In all the religions of the world, this act exists in one way or the other although some variations per the location and nature happen. For example, a person belonging to Christianity may end up becoming a brother or sister with the aim of spreading the religion around the world as a priest. For that to happen, most of them should give up the notion of getting married and stay virgin throughout their life. The primary focus of such people becomes a religion. Similarly, monks in Buddhism follow the same pattern just in a different way. They just stay at a place without making too many friends let alone getting married with the primary focus of praying all the time. Many people follow it for personal reasons as well, they do not have anything to do with the religion but just want a life without any distractions. While most sects have such a nature, they always have more focus on convincing people to get married and start a family. Such as Islam, where getting married becomes known as a good deed and Hinduism where a person has to get married and spend life with just one woman.
The word abstinence becomes known as the state where a person stays away or entirely avoids from indulging in thing related to sex and drugs. It does not have anything to do with religion and only occurs whenever a person wants it to happen. For a long time, people may get involved with such activities, but then just for a break, they may follow the path. The term came into origination from the Latin word abstinere and then with the common word abstain it got the current formation of abstinence. Forbearance may emerge from a self-denying over liberal, Hasidic perspective in conventional methods, show in many religions, or from a personal requirement for otherworldly teach. In its religious setting, forbearance is intended to hoist the devotee past the ordinary existence of longing by taking after a way of renunciation. Hindus fast once in a fortnight on the promising day of Ekadashi (Eleventh Day). This deed happens to please Lord Sri Krishna by keeping themselves occupied in religious exercises on this day. For Jews, the first day of fast is Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement. For Muslims, the time of fasting keeps going amid the entire month of Ramadan, from first light to sunset. Both Jews and Muslims avoid pork in their standard eating routine. In both Christianity and Islam, among others, pre-conjugal sex is denied. All the things they give people pleasure fall within the category where people may want to stay away from them for a short period.
- The word celibacy gets defined as the state in which a person does not get married or engage with others on a sexual level. On the other hand, the word abstinence becomes known as the state where a person stays away or entirely avoids from indulging in thing related to sex and drugs.
- In celibacy people, must make a choice that remains with them throughout their life. On the other hand, they must make a choice for a period when we talk about abstinence.
- Sexual activities entirely should stay away from a person mind when they choose a way of living a life when we speak of celibacy. On the other hand, sexual activities entirely become absent for a short time as a person needs change or something related.
- Celibacy refers to religion and people’s decisions based on something holy the primary examples of such people include, clergies, brothers, sister, father, nun among others. Whereas, abstinence includes all kinds of individuals belonging to normal life and does not get influenced by religion.
- The best example of celibacy becomes when a person devotes themselves to spreading religion and travels the world to do so, such as priests. On the other hand, the best example of abstinence becomes people fasting during the month of Ramadan during the Muslim month.