Traffic rules are made by authorities, to maintain order and to keep the traffic running smoothly, avoiding accidents. Violation of traffic rules can result in the issuance of tickets to the violators. There is another term citation used in certain cases, and that confuses many people. There are many who think a ticket is same as a citation and that the two terms can be used interchangeably. A citation is perceived as a legal notice that requires summons to a court of law while ticket is perceived as a fine or penalty that mentions the violation of a traffic rule.
A citation is a formal notice handed over by a traffic official to a person who has violated traffic rules. This notice is in reality official summon that requires a person to appear in a court of law, to contest the charges of violation of traffic rules.
Ticket is the fine or penalty that is handed over by a traffic official to a person when he violates traffic rules. Ticket is actually a piece of paper that clearly mentions the violation committed by an individual. The ticket could be issued for over speeding or it could be because of illegal parking.
- A citation is perceived as a legal notice that requires summons to a court of law while ticket is perceived as a fine or penalty that mentions the violation of a traffic rule.
- In general, there is no difference between a citation or a ticket as both are issued for the same acts of violations of traffic rules and have similar implications for the violators.
- A citation is for a specific violation of a traffic rule while a ticket can have several violations listed in it.
- A citation makes it mandatory for the recipient to appear in the designated law court whereas ticket can be paid and does not require appearance in person in a court of law.
- As nouns the difference between citation and ticket is that citation is an official summons or notice given to a person to appear; the paper containing such summons or notice while ticket is a pass entitling the holder to admission to a show, concert, etc.
- As a verb ticket is to issue someone a ticket, as for travel or for a violation of a local or traffic law.
- A citation by definition is an official summons, especially one calling for appearance in court. A ticket has a definition of a legal summons, especially for a violation. The two words are interchangeable when discussing being written up by law enforcement for a moving violation.
- Citation involves comprehensive legalities as compared to ticket on the violation of traffic rules.