The main difference between compound and element is the presence of atom. In the compound, atoms of different elements are present that are combined in a fixed ratio. However, in the element, the same type of atoms made the pure chemical substance.
Compound or chemical compound is a substance containing two or more than two atoms from different elements. The way of chemical bonds combines These atoms of different elements. Most of the compounds are identified and represented by way of a unique numerical formula that is assigned by the Chemical Abstracts Service. The way of chemical formula expresses the chemical information regarding any compound. The formula of any compound itself describes the number of atoms hold by that compound and how these are combined in a fixed proportion. Water is the simple example to get an understanding of compound. It is cosisting two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom that are bonded together. Its formula is H2O. Hence it can be said that compound must have a chemical formula for identification. Every compound has the distinguish feature of being converted into another chemical composition via interaction with a different chemical compound by way of chemical reaction. In this overall chemical reaction process, atoms of both interacting compounds are broken into simpler substances, and the resulting simpler substances are reformed so make the new associations between atoms. The chemical and physical properties of compounds are entirely different from elements. This is one of the main inspecting criteria that create the fine line between compounds and elements. As compared to elements that are restricted to some 118, there are endless types of compounds.
The element of a chemical element is an entity of multiple items containing an equal number of protons in its nucleus. 118 elements have been identified so far. The word element is mostly used for those atoms that are assigned with the number of protons and also used for those pure chemical substances containing a single element. Alternatively, the term simple substance and elementary substance is also used to deliver the same meaning as the word element. Chemical compounds are derived from the elements. Chemical bonds are produced after the combination of different elements whose atoms are associated together by chemical bonds. According to scientists, 4% of the total mass of this universe is made of ions or atoms, and chemical elements represent these. Just like compounds, these are also distinguished by their atomic number, name, melting point, boiling point, density and ionization energies. Periodic Table is the source to get information about any element. In Periodic Table, these are arranged in term of their atomic number and are grouped in term of their same alike chemical properties. However, as compared to the compounds, these are represented by their symbols. Elements form no chemical reaction, so it is not possible to break them down into simpler substances by way of any chemical method.
- The element is the simplest form of matter while the compound is the combination of two or more elements.
- The compound can be separated into simpler units by way of chemical reactions, but element can’t be separated into simpler one by way of any chemical method.
- The element can exist in both atom and molecular form, but compound has different properties from its component elements.
- Compounds are distinguished by their fixed ratio of the various elements that are arranged in a defined manner. Their atomic number distinguishes elements on the other hand.
- Common examples of compounds are salt and water while the examples of elements are copper, iron, oxygen and hydrogen.
- Formulas and elements represent symbols represent compounds.
- Chemical compounds are derived from the elements. Chemical bonds are produced after the combination of different elements whose atoms are associated together by chemical bonds.