Curd and Yogurt both are different dairy products. Difference is their preparation and the type of microorganisms used. Curd is prepared by curdling with an acidic liquid such as lemon juice before draining off its liquid portion. Yogurt is prepared by fermentation of milk using bacteria.
Curd is a dairy product. It is made by coagulating the milk by mixing the edible acidic substance such as lemon juice or vinegar in to the milk. Addition of edible acid will make two parts of milk. One is liquid part called as whey and other is solid known as curd. Basically curds are proteins of milk. Curd contains 111 calories and 13 g of proteins. Curd also provide vitamin A, E and K along with B6 and B12 vitamins. Probiotics are also the healthy contents of curd. Due to high concentration of proteins, the blood may get acidity which may cause osteoporosis if used excessively.
Yogurt is prepared by fermentation of milk using bacteria and the bacteria is known as ‘yogurt cultures’. Bacteria acts to ferment the lactose in milk which produces lactic acid. Yogurt has lactic acid in it by fermentation giving acidic taste. It is healthy diet and is good source of phosphorous, calcium, iodine vitamin B2, protein and much more. For the preparation of yogurt, milk is initially heated to 80 °C to kill any additional bacteria. Then let it to cool up to 45 °C, and now add bacteria. Now left the milk to ferment at room temperature. Yogurt is also food stuff for stomach ailment ans diarrhea patients.
- Curd is slightly more tangy or sour than yogurt.
- Curd can easily be prepared at home while yogurt is an industrial product.
- Curd is made from buffalo or cow’s milk and on the other hand yogurt can be made from different kinds of milk.
- Curd contains 98 g of calories per 100 g while yogurt contains 59 g of calories per 100 g.
- Curd has 6% of fats while yogurt has a very little amount of fats about 0.4 g per 100 g.
- Yogurt is one of the oldest foods about 500 B.C while curd don’t have long history.
- The type of microorganisms used in preparation.