Empathy is the understanding of others feeling and experiencing them as you are in their place. While sympathy is understanding the pain of others and provide care to him. Both words have different emotions but are used interchangeable which is not fair. Empathy is something beyond the sympathy as empathy is from the core of heart but sympathy may be for some purpose or personal interest.
Empathy is the understanding of others feeling and experiencing them as you are in their place. Empathy is the feeling from the core of the heart and feeling the same hurt as other is facing. If someone after listening tragic story feels himself personally concern with story, then he has the ability to empathize. Having the ability of empathy is the God gift. Empathy is heartbreaking as you have experienced it.
Sympathy is understanding the pain of others and provide care to him. If you know the suffering of someone and do care of him but feels his suffering and pain himself. You may have sympathy with someone for some reason. It is the feeling of sorrow and pity for someone facing hardship and pain.
- Empathy is actually feeling yourself at someone’s place for his pain but sympathy is only the caring for someone as he is facing hurt or pain.
- Empathy belongs to personal understanding but sympathy is the experience of others.
- Scope of empathy is far beyond the sympathy.
- Empathy is from the core of heart but sympathy may be for some purpose.
- Doctor have empathy of his patient but sympathy of patient’s family.
- Empathy is heartbreaking but sympathy is easier by simply feeling sorry.