These terms are mostly confused with each other, and there is some relation between them which can be the result of it but overall there is a vast difference between the two terms. If you have to pinpoint one main difference between Faculty and Staff, it will be that the first one which is the teaching staff of the school, college or a university and is considered a whole body. The second one means all the people that have been employed by a particular organization such as administrative department and finance department. They do not have to be related to teaching or a school.
|Basis of Distinction||Faculty||Staff|
|Definition||The teaching staff of school, college or a university||All the people that have been employed by a particular organization.|
|Scope||Restricted to institutions||Includes companies and organizations.|
|Working Hours||Does not have any particular working hours.||There are regular working hours.|
|Job Nature||Teach students and help them learn new things.||Perform administrative and support activities.|
|Salary||Based on Rank||Based on Position|
|Example||Professor, Teacher, Lab Assistant, Researcher.||Secretary, Assistant, Chief Operating Officer, Manager, Clerk.|
This term can be defined just in two ways. First a broader term, which gives the meaning that it is the inheritance of mental or physical power. This can be related to the other meaning which is the teaching staff of the school, college or a university and is considered a whole body. It does not have to be the whole body of the institute but every department can have its own faculty and therefore it can be used in various forms. The word has originated from the Latin language where it was used as Facere, which meant to make someone do something. This was then modified to Facilis which meant something easy, and later one entered the old French language with the word Faculte and then entered the English language as Faculty, the meaning also kept on changing with the origins and became as it is in the 18h century. These days, though, it is taken in just one sense, a group of teachers or professors that have been hired by an institute for teaching purposes is known as faculty. A group of people working in a company and the people that have been recruited by the same school or college to perform other tasks will not be called a faculty since only the teaching side of the things are covered in this word. The level of education will not matter, and a faculty can end up teaching students from the lower grades, some of them might be the bachelors’ students, and they can also teach people who are working towards their doctorate degree.
This is a general term which can consolidate a lot of factors within it. They are all the people that have been hired by an organization. In this case, it will not just be the ones who have students in them or places such as schools or colleges. People who are working in the same institutes such as administrative department and finance department will all be the part of activities but will not be teaching, so they will be called the staff but will not be termed as a faculty. Similarly, a company that has a group of workers that go there to perform different tasks on a daily purpose will be called the staff. A simple definition of this term will be all the people that have been employed by a particular organization. A more complicated but elaborative meaning can also be a group of workers that are working for an officer in command and have to act on the orders they are given. This can be the case for a company or an army where people which have been employed or are paid have to act as they are told. There are a few other meanings of the term as well, but all are somehow related to the same theme. The word originated from the German language word of Stef which was then modified in the Dutch language to the word Staf and from there it came into the current form which is staff. The meaning of the word has stayed consistent over the years in this case and is frequently used.
- The definition of faculty is the teaching staff of the school, college or a university and is considered a whole body. On the other hand, the definition of staff is all the people that have been employed by a particular organization irrespective of the nature of their job.
- The faculty is just restricted to a school, college or university while a staff includes all these and other companies and organizations.
- A faculty does not have any particular working hours, and their work can continue after the office time while there are regular working hours for staff.
- The primary task for a faculty is to teach students and help them learn new things with the help of various techniques while the main functions for a staff member are to perform administrative and support activities.
- The best examples for a faculty member will be a professor, teacher, lab assistant, and researcher while the best examples for a staff member will be a secretary, assistant, chief operating officer, manager, and clerk.
- The faculty member will get their salary based on their rank while a staff member will get paid according to their position.
- A staff member cannot be called a faculty member while a faculty member may be called a staff member.