The main difference between Norco and Vicodin is that Norco is used to deal with moderate to severe pain while Vicodin is used to treat moderate to moderately severe pain.
Norco is a type of painkiller that is the combination of two ingredients namely hydrocodone and acetaminophen. Hydrocodone in Norco is basically an opioid pain medication that is used for dealing with severe pain issues. As compared to Hydrocodone, Acetaminophen is available in less quantity in Norco and is also a less potent pain reliever, and for the same reason, it increases the effects of hydrocodone in Norco. Norco is prescribed for dealing with both moderate and severe pain. It can also be used for other purposes as well. The excessive usage of Norco can lead to several side effects as well. Because of the high quantity of hydrocodone, the breathing process can be stopped or slowed that ultimately result in heart attack. That’s why the medical practitioner advises not to use Norco is larger amounts or for a longer period of time because these are of addictive nature. Moreover, those patients who are drug additive or drug abusive are advised not to use it at all. In case you have already used MAO inhibitor in last fourteen days then don’t use Norco at all. The overdose of Norco can damage the liver or cause sudden death as well.
Vicodin is a type of painkiller that is the combination of opioid pain medication, acetaminophen, and hydrocodone. It is prescribed as a painkiller or to relieve moderate to severe pain. It is available in elixir, tablet and solutions form and in multiple strengths for oral administration. Normally it is prescribed into tablet form for oral administration. Because of involvement of hydrocodone in Vicodin, it can stop or slow down the process of breathing. For the same reasons, medical practitioner suggests not to use it in larger amounts or for a longer period of time. Moreover, it is suggested not to share it with those people who are additive of any drug or medicine. It must be placed in a place where these people cannot get it. It must also not be used when the person has used MAO inhibitor in the last fourteen days. Moreover, it must not be take in larger quantity as an overdose of Vicodin can lead to damage of liver or even sudden death as well. In case the patient is facing skin rash or skin redness, he must stop taking Vicodin and consult with a doctor for further instruction.
- Vicoden is available in two strengths; 5/500 and 7.5/500 while Norco has less Tylenol as compared to Vicoden. Norco comes in 7.5/325 and 10/325 strength.
- The patient can take three pills of Norco at a time, but you cannot take as much of Vicoden at a time.
- Norco is drowsier as compared to Vicoden because it contains a higher number of hydrocodone in the mixture.
- Vicoden is available with 5mg of hydrocodone and 500mg of acetaminophen while Norco is available in two strengths one with 7.5mg hydrocodone and 325mg acetaminophen and other is with 10mg hydrocodone and 325mg acetaminophen.
- As Norco contains more hydrocodone as compared to Vicoden, so it has side effects as well like drowsiness, dizziness, and light-headedness.
- The quantity of acetaminophen in Norco is less than Vicoden that’s why it is considered to be more effective dose as compared to the Norco.
- For having more quantity of acetaminophen, a dosage of one and a half of two tablets is enough to relieve the pain. However, it can increase the chances of side effects as well if given in more quantity.
- Medical practitioner prescribes the one tablet of Norco for every four to six hours subject to pain but with a minimum dosage of six tablets in a day. While the amount of Vicoden prescribed by medical practitioners is also same but with minimum eight tablets in a day.
- Actavis is the leading manufacturer of Norco while AbbVie is the leading manufacturer of Vicoden.
- The other common brands of Norco are Maxidone, Hycet, Lorcet, Zamicet, and Zydone. Other manufacturers and brands of Vicoden are Anexsia, Hycet, Lorcet, Zolvit and Xodol.
- Vicodin tablets are stored at controlled room temperatures ranging from 680 to 700 F while Norco tablets require room temperature ranging from 590 to 860F.
- Vicodin is least expensive as compared to Norco.