The main difference between simple and complex tissue is, simple tissues are made up of cells of same type or kind and complex tissues are made up of different. Hence, simple tissue is homogeneous and complex tissue is heterogeneous.
Simple tissue is made up of same type of cells and mostly cover the surface of both, internal organs of the body and external organs of the body. Simple tissue is tightly packed together. A simple tissue is called epithelium in animals and epidermis in plants. Example of simple tissue is muscle tissue.
Complex tissue is made up of different type of cells. The main purpose of complex tissue is to actually bind organs together and to support them. These tissues are scattered everywhere in the body. They are also known as connectivity tissue in animals and vascular tissue in plants. Example of complex tissue is blood tissue.
- Simple tissue consist of one same type of cells while complex tissue have different type of cells.
- Simple tissue consist of parenchyma, collenchymas and sclernchyma. While complex tissue consist of xylem and phloem.
- Simple tissue occur in all parts of plant and complex tissue only occur in vascular region.
- Simple tissue have wide distribution and complex tissue have restricted distribution.
- Complex tissue carries out function of conduction or transportation.
- Simple tissues perform wide range of functions.
- The function of simple tissue is storage of food, while the function of complex tissue is protection.
- Complex tissue prevent water loss and they even help in gaseous exchange.