The main difference between systolic and diastolic blood pressure is that systolic blood pressure is the measurement of the amount of pressure exerts by blood on vessels and arteries during the normal heart beating. Diastolic blood pressure, on the other hand, measures the amount of pressure exerted by blood on the walls of different arteries around the body when the heart beats and get relaxed.
Systolic Blood Pressure
Systolic blood pressure is a condition in which heart contracts, blood pressure rises, and blood moves out along the vessels. This pressure shows the highest pressure value. Normally a systolic blood pressure remains at 120 or below it. In case, blood pressure cross this figure, that means individual have borderline high blood pressure. The people with that rate of blood pressure are at the risk of any severe heart attack. Medically, systolic blood pressure is given more attention because crossing the borderline blood pressure means developing a way to heart diseases. The people with age of fifty or over easily become the victim of heart diseases in case they are continuously facing the highest systolic blood pressure. That’s why it is being said that with the increase in age of an individual, the importance of measuring systolic blood pressure also increases. The recent study on pulse pressure has revealed that every 100 mm HG diastolic blood pressure or every 20 mm Hg systolic blood pressure among the people of fifty or over can lead to ischemic heart disease. The normal range of diastolic blood pressure ranges between 60 to 80 mmHg in the case of adults, 65 mmHg I case of both infants and kids with six to nine years. In a nutshell, systolic blood pressure results in contraction of blood vessels and on the meter reading, higher number denotes the systolic blood pressure.
Diastolic Blood Pressure
Diastolic blood pressure is the phase of heart relaxes, blood pressure falls, and the blood fills the heart. It occurs near the start of the cardiac cycle and is the minimum pressure in the arteries when the heart exerts the blood pressure and ventricles of a heart filled with blood. On the meter, this blood pressure is always shown at the bottom or minimum number and denotes the pressure in the arteries walls when the heart stays normal between exertion and contraction period. For the information of the readers, it remains eighty or below it. The blood pressure over than that figure is higher than ideal and lead to systolic blood pressure. Those facing the repeated reading above eighty or ninety in the case of diastolic blood pressure can face the cardiovascular problems if they are facing other health issues. People with elevated diastolic blood pressure can enter into the phase of systolic blood pressure. At that phase an individual can face the disease like kidney issues, diabetes, obesity and hardening of the arteries or even heart attack in most of the cases. It is often normal for the adults or kids with age between six to nine years as blood pressure increases because of exercises and sports activities by the kids. The normal range of systolic blood pressure ranges 90 to 120 mmHg in the case of adults, 95 mmHg in infants and 100 mmHg in kids with six to nine years.
- The normal range of diastolic blood pressure ranges between 60 to 80 mmHg in the case of adults, 65 mmHg in the case of both infants and kids with six to nine years. On the other hand, the normal range of systolic blood pressure ranges 90 to 120 mmHg in the case of adults, 95 mmHg in infants and 100 mmHg in kids with six to nine years.
- As compared to diastolic blood pressure, it is important to measure systolic blood pressure as its importance increases with the increase in age. On the other hand, diastolic blood pressure is important to measure in younger age.
- Systolic blood measures the maximum blood pressure exerted by heart on arteries while diastolic blood pressure measures the minimum blood pressure exerted by heart on arteries.
- Left ventricles of the heart contract in case of systolic blood pressure while left ventricles fill with blood in the case of diastolic blood pressure.
- Systolic blood pressure results in contraction of blood vessels while diastolic blood pressure results in relaxation of blood vessels.
- On the meter reading, higher number denotes the systolic blood pressure, and lower number denotes the diastolic blood pressure.