Wi-fi is basically a technology which is used for transferring data nowadays. It works on the principle of radio waves or electrical pulse and can transfer data up to 867 Megabytes/second. While the other latest arrival in competition to it Li-Fi which is much faster than Wi-Fi and stronger in security and can transfer data up to 10.5Gbit/s it works on the principle of the light spectrum, So this is much faster than Wi-Fi.
Wi-Fi (or wifi) is basically a local areas computer networking technology that makes the possibility for electronic devices to connect with the network ,which is generally based on the Institute of Electrical And Electronics Engineers (IEEE) 802.11 standards. However, the work was started on this idea since long but the first version of standard 802.11 was originally released in 1997 and provided up to 2Mbit/s link speed.After it was updated in 1999 with 802.11b to permit 11 Mbit/s link speed, which within no time got popular among masses. Then in the same year 1999, the wifi Alliance was formed as a trade association to get the wi-fi trademark under which the most of the products were sold. Therefore, after the huge success term wi-fi was commercially initiated in August 1999, the name wifi was coined by Interbrand Corporation. Phil Belanger was the person who presided over the selection of the name “Wi-Fi”. And nowadays Wi-Fi is playing a pivotal role in our lives. Now it is the name of familiar wireless networking technology that uses radio waves to provide Wireless high-speed Internet, it doesn’t deal with the physical wire connections between sender and receiver. There are so much benefits of Wi-Fi technology as it is cost effective, it also eliminates cabling and wiring for PC’s, it also eliminates the cellular usage charges.
Li-Fi is generally a wireless optical networking technology that works on the principle of light emitting diodes (LED’s) for the transmission of data. We can say that Li-Fi is the improved or latest form of Wi-Fi. Although, both of them are for the same purpose but Li-Fi is much faster as it is advanced technology. Li-Fi is designed to use LED’s as similar as currently in use in other familiar offices and in energy-concious homes. According to the idea in 2011 industry groups formed the LI-Consortium to promote or enhance the high-speed optical wireless system to overcome the limited amount of radio-based wireless spectrum. After this in April 2014 , a Russian company Stins Coman announced the development LI-Fi wireless local network familiar as Beamcaster. Their current module transfers data at 1.25 gigabytes per second but they trying to boost speed upto 5 GB/second in the coming future In 2014 another record was established by a Mexican Company (Sisoft) that they transfers the data of 10Gps by light spectrum emitted by LED’s.
- Li-Fi uses the light of LED’s to transfer the data, on the other hand, Wi-Fi uses the Radio or Electrical pulses to transfer its data.
- Li-Fi doesn’t use any wire or thing to connect to your device whereas Wi-fi needs a wire connection especially a one with the electrical pulse.
- Li-Fi doesn’t penetrate the physical barrier on the other hand Wi-fi has the ability to go beyond the physical barriers.
- Li-Fi gives you more security as we know that Li-Fi cannot penetrate any physical barrier so no one will be able to insecure your network while Wi-Fi works on radio waves so it has a high risk of being hacked.
- Li-fi is not affected by RF-emitting equipment whereas Wi-Fi can easily be affected by RF-emitting equipment.
- LI-Fi can easily transfer data upto10.5Gbit/second whereas standard 801.11ac Wi-Fi can deliver a maximum speed of 867 Megabits/second.